March 8, 2013
The kids elementary school held a "Dancing through the Decades" party. Each grade level learned a dance from a different decade. Tyler was in the 60s dance and Susie was in the 90s dance. Trying to come up with costumes for each child with little to no money was a challenge! To top that off, Tyler kept insisting that he wasn't going to dance. I really wanted him to dance, but I also knew that too much costume would make him more hesitant. And I didn't want to spend money on a costume that might not get used.
I bought a tie-dye tee at the Goodwill for a $1.50 and turned it into a fringe vest for Tyler. Finding a costume to dress Susie for the 90s was even more difficult. I knew Susie would happily wear whatever I found her. But, what epitomizes the 90s? I was really unclear which direction to take it...preppy, grunge and flannel... Lucky (or unlucky) for me, the Goodwill didn't have much to offer. I was looking for some overalls. I remember wearing overalls a lot in junior high and high school. But I couldn't find any. Then I found a white denim vest. It seemed 90s enough, so I went with it. We did add a high pony and scrunchy!
We took our neighbors, Taylor and Kelsi, because their parents were out of town.
From left to right: Taylor (50s), Tyler (60s), Kelsi (70s), and Susie (90s)
Check out Kelsi's bell-bottoms! I made those for her out of her skinny jeans (that's why they are a bit cropped) and some denim scraps.
Without me having to convince him at all, Tyler decided to join the 3rd graders. So fun to watch him! They danced to the Beatles "When I Saw Her Standing There."
Susie was the main reason we attended. She couldn't wait to dance in front of the crowd! She performed the "Macarena."







No comments:
Post a Comment